In December 2017, they opened the doors of their first family-run safe home in Montana. Since then Sammy and Britney, along with their three small children, have been living in the safe home with survivors, wading in the trenches of recovery with each woman that enters the home.
“We became aware of the issue of trafficking 8 years ago. Once your eyes have been opened to the devastating reality of sex trafficking, you can no longer turn a blind eye.” Britney Higgs, Founder
With the mentorship and advisement of other groundbreaking organizations, such as Wellspring Living (link wellspringliving.org) and Traffick Refuge, Britney and Sammy built a sustainable program based on a family-run model that provided survivors with holistic care for the mind, body, and soul.
Britney says, “Once we said ‘yes’ to the call on our life, God started strategically putting all the pieces together. There is an incredible ‘underground’ network of organizations and individuals that have paved the way to infiltrate the human trafficking industry through prevention, rescue, recovery, and restoration.
We started seeking the wisdom of those that have gone before us, becoming listeners and learners on how to create sustainability for residential safe home programs and widen the net. What we learned and continue to learn is the field is huge and the workers are few. It takes an army, and that army needs to continue to grow.”
Together, we know freedom WILL have the final say.
Here are a few ways YOU can contribute to the fight against human trafficking:
- Share awareness campaigns on your social media
- Become a foster parent (Link to https://dphhs.mt.gov/CFSD/Fosterparent)
- Lobby for laws (Link to https://traffickinghubpetition.com/)
- Become a mentor to survivors
- Lead a survivor support group
- Volunteer at your local anti-human trafficking organizations and shelters
- Host a fundraiser
- Donate to anti-human trafficking organizations actively working on the ground